AHSAHKA, Idaho – Dworshak Dam and Reservoir recreation staff completed winterizing several recreation facilities this week, preparing them for seasonal freezing weather:
- Restrooms at Viewpoint are closed; rangers advise visitors that the full-service restrooms at Big Eddy, located about 1.6 miles north on Viewpoint Road, are open for use 24 hours a day, every day.
- Dam View Campground is closed.
- The main campground at Canyon Creek is closed; two primitive campsite and a vault toilet near the boat ramp currently remain available.
- Merrys Bay Day-Use Area is closed to vehicle traffic, but remains open to pedestrians.
- Dent Acres campground will remain open until Dec. 15 at noon, weather permitting, to accommodate hunters; the cost of off-season camping at Dent Acres is $10 a night. If winter conditions create unsafe access, staff will close the campground earlier.
Big Eddy, Bruce’s Eddy and the fishing wall area below the dam will remain open for use during the winter season. Seasonally closed facilities are slated to reopen in the spring of 2018, as weather and road conditions allow. Notices regarding seasonal access changes will be posted on information kiosks and announced on Dworshak’s Facebook page www.facebook.com/dworshakdam/.
Additionally, the Visitor Center will be closed for the holidays Dec. 25, 2017, through Jan. 1, 2018, reopening on Jan. 2, 2018. Visitor Center non-holiday hours are open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. School programs are available by calling 208-476-1255.
As always, safety is the Corps’ greatest concern – boaters should wear lifejackets and avoid drinking alcohol while boating. The road leading to the recreation areas, especially the boat ramps can be icy and potentially hazardous during the winter, so please drive safely.
For more information regarding U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Dworshak facilities access and current conditions, call 208-476-1255 during business hours.
Release no. 17-120