BURBANK, Wash. – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Ice Harbor Lock and Dam is seeking historic photos of the dam’s construction for use at a June 16, 2012, celebration of the 50th anniversary of the dam’s completion. The Corps is also seeking brief written memories or dam history information from area residents, Corps retirees, construction workers and construction companies who worked on the dam from 1957 through 1962.
The daytime commemoration celebration planned for Saturday, June 16, will be at Ice Harbor and open to the public. More information will be provided at a later date.
The historic photos or written memories may be used in event literature, historic displays, Corps publications, event scrapbooks or other outlets before, during or after the June event. Photos and historical information are needed no later than May 1. The Corps will provide photo credits to contributing photographers and writer credits for written submissions that are published.
Electronic copies of photos in good condition are preferred, and in the highest resolution possible. Word processing or text files are also preferred. Electronically scanned photos or written memories should be sent via email to Lanell Adams at Ice Harbor at Lanell.L.Adams@usace.army.mil, or photo or document CDs may also be mailed to Ice Harbor Lock and Dam, ATTN: Natural Resources Management, 2763 Monument Drive, Burbank, WA 99323. Best photo file formats are either “JPG” or “TIF.”
Photos or written memories contributors need to provide their name, address, phone number and email address if available. For photos, any additional information about photo contents, names of people in the photo, approximate dates worked on the dam, photograph dates or other related information about photo contents would be helpful.
Photo contributors will also need to provide a written photo release granting the Corps the right to use submitted photos in Corps publications, website, media and other outlets. If photos cannot be scanned or provided electronically, contact Ice Harbor Natural Resources Management at 509-543-6060 so the Corps can arrange to review and possibly scan photos at Ice Harbor.
Corps photos of Ice Harbor are available at http://www.facebook.com/WallaWallaUSACE.
SIDEBAR ARTICLE: How to submit historic photos of Ice Harbor Lock and Dam
- If an electronic version of photo is available, email it as an attachment to Lanell.L.Adams@usace.army.mil at the Ice Harbor Natural Resources Management office, or send a CD of photos to Ice Harbor Lock and Dam, ATTN: Natural Resources Management, 2763 Monument Drive, Burbank, WA 99323.
- Best scanned electronic photo file formats are “JPG” or “TIF.” Recommend images should be 2 megabytes or larger if possible. Recommend minimum 1200 x 1600 resolution.
- If you have only printed photos that will need to be scanned, call Lanell Adams at Ice Harbor Natural Resources Management at 509-543-6060 to discuss having the Corps scan the photos at Ice Harbor. Do not mail or deliver printed photos without first calling the Corps to discuss.
- For each photo, provide names of people in photos, location, date taken, and any other details that explain the photo.
- Provide photographer’s name for photo credit, plus photographer or photo owner address, phone number and email address.
- Provide a statement that you “grant permission for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to use these photo(s) for non-commercial use without limitation or payment to photographer or owner. The Corps is granted use of images provided but not ownership.”
- Other documents or news clippings about Ice Harbor Lock and Dam construction also may be of interest. Call 509-543-6060 to discuss.
You do not need to log on to Facebook to download.
Note to media: Corps photos of Ice Harbor are available for downloading at www.facebook.com/WallaWallaUSACE and includes Vice-President Lyndon B. Johnson at the 1962 dedication of the dam, 1960 dam construction, and Ice Harbor at night. You do not need to log on to Facebook to download.