UMATILLA, Ore. – Construction began this week on a new potable water distribution system for McNary Lock and Dam, according to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Walla Walla District (Corps), operations officials.
McNary’s existing potable water distribution system, located on the southern shoreline of the Columba River just east of the City of Umatilla, Ore., has been in use for more than 50 years and needs to be upgraded to meet current potable water standards for drinking water and fire-protection supply water.
Rotschy, INC., from Vancouver, Wash., was awarded the $3.16-million contract to upgrade the existing McNary Dam Potable Water Distribution System, which supplies water to the dam’s powerhouse, warehouse and west park areas.
Construction activities are anticipated to continue through December. Work involves the use of heavy equipment. The public should be alert to movement of construction equipment on the adjacent roads and/or temporarily affecting public access to nearby recreational trails.
The construction efforts will include:
• Pipe trench excavations and underground boring for railroad and roadway crossing locations for the new potable water distribution pipelines;
• Site preparation for a new potable water (concrete reinforced) storage tank with chain link security fencing around it and a rip rap overflow ditch outfall section starting at the end of the water tank drainage pipe;
• Valves and valve groups subsurface enclosures (concrete manholes);
• Fire hydrant procurements and placements with protection bollards;
• Fiber optic cable placement from the new water tank Fiber Optic Patch Panel (FOPP) to a well house FOPP and then to the powerhouse.
• The new concrete water tank (22.5 ft. tall) will have a portion of it buried below ground (11 ft.) to present a lower water tank profile to the adjacent homeowners and the portion above ground will have an earthen berm on three sides, up against the tank to present a more aesthetically pleasing and natural view to the homeowners;
• During the construction phase to upgrade the water distribution system, demolition will be required for existing valve groups piping;
• After decommissioning of the old potable water distribution system, the old water tank will be demolished.
The existing potable water system will continue to operate during the construction upgrades and remain on-line until testing and commissioning of the new, upgraded system is completed.
For more information about McNary Lock and Dam, check out the District’s website at www.nww.usace.army.mil/Locations/DistrictLocksandDams/McNaryLockandDam.aspx
Release no. 15-006