AHSAHKA, Idaho – Come out and enjoy Dworshak Dam and Reservoir this July 4. The reservoir is at full pool! All campgrounds and boat ramps are open for use.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Walla Walla District encourages and invites visitors to come use all the facilities at Dworshak Dam and Reservoir. However, it's important to remember that fireworks of any kind are prohibited on Corps property across the district. Restrictions aren't intended to limit visitors' ability to celebrate but rather to help all visitors have an incident-free occasion.
The Corps and law enforcement officials will be out patrolling facilities all weekend, according to Gus Garbe, Lead Park Ranger for Dworshak Dam and Reservoir. “If caught lighting or in possession of fireworks on Corps property, citations can be issued,” Garbe said.
In addition, the reserving of campsites along the Dworshak Reservoir shoreline is prohibited. The early placement of camping equipment at camp sites to ensure a spot for the weekend of July 4 can result in the removal of the camping equipment or a citation.
Please enjoy the reservoir safely this weekend, by taking the following precautions:
· Changing weather conditions can create unsafe situations on open water. Know the weather and have a float plan.
· Keep life jackets on children while on or around the water.
· Don’t let small children out of your sight.
· Check the serviceability of your boat.
· Ensure proper fitting, accessible, and serviceable life jackets are available for each occupant on your boat. Better yet, wear them.
· Before proceeding at higher speeds, familiarize yourself with the area you will be boating as there may be floating woody debris or rocks, stumps, and shallow areas not visible from the surface.
· When boating on the reservoir, please use caution because lake levels can change quickly.
The Dworshak Dam Visitor Center is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Visitor Center offers a variety of interpretive displays and movies about Dworshak and the history of the area, including the popular “Last of the Log Drives.”
For further information, visitors are welcome to call the Dworshak Visitor Center at 208-476-1255 during normal business hours.